The first thing you need for this recipe is homemade almond milk. Specifically the almond meal left from making the milk. To make the almond milk, soak 2 cups of almonds overnight. Strain and rinse the almonds then put them into a blender, one cup at a time with 2 cups of warm water. Blend for at least 1 minute. Strain through a muslin cloth. Dry the pulp for 12 hours in a warm oven. Once dry, run the pulp through a food processor until it is the consistency of flour. This should give you enough to make the cake.
When you use the leftover almond meal form making almond milk you get the bonus of having soaked almond flour. This will give you a better flavor and more nutrients.
This cake is worth the extra effort, but you could also use regular almond meal or flour.
There are no eggs in this, so if you switch the sweetener it would be vegan.
Paleo Carrot Cake
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
2 teaspoons cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
1/4 cup shredded coconut
3 flax eggs
1/4 cup coconut butter
3 tablespoons coconut oil
1/4 cup honey
1 1/2 cups grated carrots
1/2 cup chopped walnuts (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 325° F. Oil an 8×8 cake pan.
- Combine the ingredients for the flax eggs and allow to sit.
- Combine dry ingredients.
- Add the wet ingredients to the flax eggs and combine well.
- Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients. Fold in the carrots.
- Bake for 45 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean.
- Allow to cool in the pan.
You can top this with a slice of Kerrygold butter and some honey for an extra amazing treat!